This is an authentic Croatian recipe from my husband’s family and part one of the traditional Povitica dessert bread recipe. Every culture has their own twist on bread and this recipe works great for a traditional loaf, donuts, strudel, and of course, povi! Whether you use a bread maker or bake it yourself, there’s nothing quite like homemade bread during the wintertime.
- 1c Sugar
- 1c Warm Milk
- ½c Warm Water
- 1 Package Yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 7-10c Flour (best if used while you work vs. measuring)
- Put sugar, warm milk, water and yeast in a large bowl.
- Add enough flour to make thick batter (3-4c).
- Beat well then mix in the salt and egg yolks.
- Add and mix in melted butter.
- Add flour until dough doesn’t stick, kneading until smooth and elastic.
- Place into greased bowl and cover with cling wrap to rise. (1-2 hours)
- Separate into desired sized for loaves (2-3)
- Tip: Smaller Loaves = Flaky & Bigger Loaves = Moist
Share your family recipes with me!
If you liked this traditional Croatian bread recipe please let me know in the comments section and share what types of recipes you would like to see next. You can also check out a few cooking videos on my YouTube Channel and show your support by giving the videos a thumbs up + subscribing!